Summer is winding down, and as much as I want to rush into fall fashion, there are still plenty of hot days until sweater weather. For my last summer Get The Look, I paired a flowy, floral top with casual jean shorts, and a pair of wedges.
Now let’s talk about the best part of this outfit—those cat eye sunnies! These will absolutely go down as one of my best Amazon purchases ever. They are only $9.99!
This hot summer weather makes me want to wear comfortable, cool clothes! I really enjoy rompers, but a good fit is hard to accomplish when you are curvy. I picked this one up at Burlington— surprise, surprise 😉 I really like the way it fits. You can easily dress rompers up or down, but they still feel less formal than a dress.
I paired my navy romper with a fun, colorful pom pom bracelet that I also picked up from Burlington.
I fell in love with this blue and white seersucker-style dress at Burlington. I tried to see if I could find it online to share with you, but I had no luck. However, there are a ton of seersucker dresses out there and if you love the rose patches on it as much as I do, I think a little DIY magic can help you get the look!
I paired this dress with Charlotte Russe dusty rose heels. The heel isn’t too tall, so they are actually pretty comfortable. Happy shopping!
We have all heard of “fashion rules”. For example: “don’t wear white after labor day”- yeah…that’s a lie. Have you seen someone in all white during winter…gorgeous! There are tons of articles and blog posts about finding “personal style”. You are not going to achieve your personal style goals by following old school “fashion rules.”
1. DON’T mix silver and gold jewelry. This is a terrible lie that has been passed down from generation to generation. Silver and gold jewelry actually look really cool together.
3. DON’T mix prints. Print mixing can add so much depth and texture to a look. If you are new to this, I suggest starting with baby steps: try a fun floral skirt with a thinly-striped top. Having one of the patterns on a much smaller scale than the other will help you feel one print is not competing with the other. Try this a few times and maybe you start feeling comfortable enough to try one of these looks below.
4. DO match your colors. This outfit below is the perfect example of being matchy-matchy. I’m all for looking cohesive, but there is a point where you just need to STOP! Good for you, you can pick out the same shade of blue and repeat it 6 times in one outfit. This look is cookie cutter and just plain boring.
photo via Polyvore
5. DON’T over-accessorize. Um…excuse me? Accessories are amazing and if I want to pile them on, I’ll do it, and make it look good 🙂 Here I’m rocking a furry vest, gold chain necklace, pearl sunnies, faux leather pants, golden yellow booties, and purple clip-ins.
6. DON’T be trendy.I call BS on this! I get it, trends come and go, but if people are loving it right now, there must be something about it that’s cool! After all, fashion just gets recycled and someone puts a new twist on it. If you want to be rocker chic one day, preppy the other, and a glam-o-saurus next week—do it! If you like something and wear it with confidence, no one can ever say you don’t have personal style.
Ahhh! It’s almost time you guys! I’m going to shoot my introductory pieces for Miss Marlene Boutique in the next few weeks! Check out this teaser video I put together as a behind the scenes look and inspiration for my Storenvy opening soon!
Last year while shopping in downtown Nashville, Tennessee, I came across this fun, quirky shop called Earthbound Trading Company. I’ve always wanted a raw crystal necklace, but the one’s I’ve come across are super cheesy and plastic. So I bought a little box of mixed crystals and made my crystal necklace with some supplies from my local Hobby Lobby.
Here I am with my third Thankful Tuesday! One thing I really love about November is the Christmas shopping season. Yes, I said it. I enjoy Christmas shopping and wrapping gifts. Here is a fun project to wrap up a fabulous something for the fashionista in your life with a DIY gift bag!
I’m back with my second Thankful Tuesday and it’s all about hats! Fall is the perfect time to break out hats of all kinds. Here are a few of my favorites…
Storing hats used to be problematic until I picked up vintage hat boxes at antique malls and flea markets. I painted a white Styrofoam head that I got from Hobby Lobby and had a little photo session with her. I created tags to label the boxes, so now I know exactly which hats live where!
It’s here! My first mini-series, Thankful Tuesdays, I am kicking November off with a Fall Fashion Shoot by Kaitlin Powell Photography and Designs (find her on the web and on Facebook). One of my favorite things about fall is the clothes! Boots! Layers! Rich colors!
Look One:I love this super simple black faux leather dress with oxblood tights and a purple velvet belt.
Look Two:This is a fun, funky look complete with a black faux leather skirt, long sleeve patterned crop top, and cowl neck infinity scarf.
Look Three: This is a more casual look, perfect for a fall bummy day, oversized H&M sweater, skinny jeans, and studded boots.
Look Four: Early fall is the best time to pull off the tights with shorts look. I paired it with riding boots, simple top, and slouchy felt hat from Target.
Look Five: By far my favorite look; totally eclectic and glam! This look includes everything I love about fall fashion: faux leather, faux fur, booties, and layers! Give me a great pair of shades and gold anything and I’m happy.
I hope you enjoyed this week’s Thankful Tuesday post! Check back next week to see more reasons to LOVE FALL!